Monday, August 22, 2011

Skirts

I discovered last summer that I love skirts.  They are so much cooler to wear in the summer heat than capris (which I also love) and they keep me way more covered than the shorts I find in the stores.  So after my first skirt attempt went well I decided to try making some more.

Of course I turned to MADE for help.  This time I used her simple skirt tutorial.  Since all the pictures she has posted of the skirt have little girls wearing it I wasn't sure it would work out for me - but she promised it was simple to sew so I went for it.

Linen Circle Skirt
I picked up some faux-linen fabric and quickly realized I needed to make it double-layered since it was pretty sheer.  It didn't turn out as gathered as it was supposed to be but I love it.  Its really light and easy to wear - and since linen's wrinkly all the time it looks good that way.

I liked it so much I decided to make another one but with cotton fabric instead.  It didn't turn out so well.  It just looked really formal, and somehow when I washed and dried the fabric before sewing it it got some oil-looking spots on it (weird...) that were really obvious.


I was actually really discouraged by this.  It sounds over-dramatic now but at the time I felt like giving up sewing.  It took so long to make the skirt and it turned out so bad.

Ruffled Cotton Circle Skirt
Thankfully my hubby was full of encouragement and helped me realize all I needed was my trusty seam-ripper and I could start over.  I started by adding a ruffled layer of contrasting fabric... then another one.  But I looked like a mushroom -it was just weird.  So I decided the top layer needed to come off (it was making me look really bulky) and the only way I could figure out how to make the skirt work was to turn it into ruffles too.  I'd seen some cute ruffled skirts online so I thought it would be a good save.

Way too much time later (I should've used elastic thread to make the ruffles but I had run out of it so I used a basting stitch which took forever) the skirt was finally done.  The layers ended up uneven because I ran out of fabric but even so, I actually like the way it came out.

I haven't worn it yet.  It seems too fancy for every day use and I don't dress up very often.  And it's a little out of my comfort zone style wise - but I think it has potential.  What do you think?  Should I wear it?




 

2 comments:

Brianna said...

I think the ruffled skirt might look good with a plain white tank top or tee shirt tucked in...it would dress it down some, but also let the skirt be the statement. Just a thought! Looking good :)

Anonymous said...

I love the ruffled skirt! And yes... you should absolutely wear it!