Sunday, August 28, 2011

Simple Fix

Early this summer Greg and I went to Pittsburgh to visit his family.  While we were there, Greg, his mom, and I went to an awesome Goodwill in Zelie (or maybe it's closer to Cranberry?).  It's a huge one that is really well organized.  I found a lot of great shirts while we were there.  Here's one of my favorites:

The only problem was that it had a band around the sleeve - just like the one at the neckline - that made it cinch my arm.  Not only did it feel tight and uncomfortable but it wasn't very flattering either!  So, I took out my seam ripper and got to work.

I simply took off the piece of fabric that went around the edge of the sleeve.  Then I made a simple straight stitch in matching thread with my machine to make the tiniest hem possible so that the sleeve would look finished.  I didn't iron the hem before sewing - just used the presser foot to keep the material flat as I stitched.

It was such a simple change but it made a huge difference!  I feel more comfortable and more confident now when I wear the shirt and it's neat to know that I can take clothing that has an element I don't like and fix it.

Slightly hemmed sleeve - so much more comfortable!


Never one to waste fabric, I used the strips of fabric from the sleeve to make cute polka dot trim on a onesie for my friend's baby.  Unfortunately I didn't think to take a picture before sending it to her but it was super cute!

No comments: