Sunday, August 21, 2011

The scarf that started it all

Here's the ruffled scarf that I mentioned in my previous post.  When I saw the tutorial for it on MADE I knew I had to try it!  It was actually the first thing I made with my machine and it really was as easy as the tutorial says it is!

Practice Scarf
This is a picture of my practice scarf.  It's too short to be much use but it was a good first step because the next two I made were mothers' day gifts.  This fabric was hard to work with (I don't know the name of it but it's very sheer and frays easily) but I love the look of it - especially the flowered fabric I used for my mother-in-law's scarf.  I used seersucker for my mom's scarf and it was much easier to sew though it didn't ruffle as much and it ended up being a little longer than I wanted it to be.  However she did get a compliment the first time she wore it so mission accomplished!

The tutorial has instructions for using elastic thread or regular thread and a basting stitch (sewing term that basically means you can make ruffles by pulling on one of the threads).  I went with the elastic thread and loved it.  I'd use it for every project if I could.  It's so easy to use and it's really fun to watch the fabric ruffle as you sew.

I definitely would recommend the ruffled scarf as a fun project for any beginner. 


2 comments:

Brianna said...

Elise, it looks great!

Anonymous said...

I love the ruffled scarf you made for me Elise! I imagine it was very hard to work with the fabric but you did a great job!