Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Reversible Tote

Outside
The Reversible Tote was the next project I tackled from Stitch by Stitch.  I put this one off for a while because it looked really intimidating!  Thankfully the directions were really clear and it came together pretty easily. 

The fabric is a linen-mix with embroidery.  I don't know if I'd choose it again for this project but I love linen and when I saw it at Joann Fabrics I couldn't resist (not to mention it was on sale!).

The straps were the hardest portion to make!  I decided to try the most advanced option: reversible straps.  They were sewn right sides together and then turned inside-out (well, it was actually outside-out).  Even using a tool specifically designed to make turning fabric tubes easier, it was pretty difficult.  If the tubes had been less narrow it would've been much easier.





Here are a couple more view of the bag for you:



Inside



Using the same idea of a reversible tote, I made a second bag.  I needed a functional bag that I could take with me when I went to the farm to ride my horse - something I could wash and that was big enough to hold a water bottle, wallet, keys, and phone.  I'd been using my other bags but since it's too dangerous for Greg to get in contact with anything horsey I needed a new option.

 I decided to use an old pair of khakis that Greg was getting rid of.  This worked out great because by using the upper thigh sections I could have pockets on my bag without learning how to make them!  I didn't measure the fabric for this bag - just used the sizes that I got when I seam-ripped the pants apart.  I also added a ribbon trim to the non-pocket side, just to make it a little feminine.  I only ever take the bag to the barn and maybe the post office or Trader Joe's on my way home, but I still wanted it to have a little color.

Pocket side out

Peeking inside
 I added a button to cover up a hole in the fabric.  It's odd.  Usually I use the bag pocket-side in so the button isn't obvious.  If I was making this bag again I would use some sort of patch instead.  The button didn't even cover the entire hole!
Ribbon side out




Nice long straps
 The final product was a messenger style bag with nice long, thick straps.  Totally functional and sturdy.  It's a bag that I like for what I made it for - not too fancy to bring to the barn and I can always throw it in the laundry to clean it up.  The best part was that I only had to refer to Stitch by Stitch once (assembling all the pieces of the bag) which showed me that I really am learning how to make things on my own!

1 comment:

Andria said...

Elise, I love the khaki bag! I love that the pocket is built in from the old pair of pants - great idea!