Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Gathered Jersey Skirt

Yup, I made another skirt.  It just seemed like the easiest article of clothing to make.  No legs or arms to attach, not a lot of shape or curves to consider - just a straight forward circle.  But after my last three skirts I was tired of elastic waist bands.

I did a lot of searching and finally came across this tutorial for a gathered jersey skirt.  It was really simple to make - a lot easier than the ruffled skirt for sure - and I loved working with jersey fabric.  The only problem I had was that my thread kept snapping and getting caught up in my sewing machine.  I learned a lot about taking my machine apart and putting it back together while sewing this skirt!  After switching threads from old who-knows-what-it's-made-from thread to new polyester thread and loosening the tension on the machine I was able to make some real progress.  I love how this skirt turned out.  It is definitely my most comfortable skirt and I wish I had it in 10 different colors.  I would wear it every day but the stripes are too recognizable!  The waist band does start to stretch out after wearing it for a little while but I think that if I had made it the height recommended in the tutorial I could just fold it over and solve that problem.

Knit Bracelets
I also made some super cute Jersey Knit Bracelets from V and Co using the strips of jersey that I cut off the skirt when adjusting the length.  Then I made one with some leftover linen from my simple skirt.  It doesn't look as nice as the jersey bracelets do but it does look better in person than in the picture.  Which is your favorite bracelet?  I think mine is the red one.  I like how chunky it is.

 One of the things I love about sewing is that every scrap of fabric can be used for something else.  I tried to get into cooking really nice (fancy) meals but when I would buy unique ingredients that recipes called for I'd often end up throwing away a portion of the ingredients because I had no use for them. What a waste of money!  But fabric never goes bad and there are so many fun things to do with scraps!  And a cute bracelet is much more exciting than 1/4 cup of egg substitute in my opinion.  Does that mean I consider egg substitute to be fancy?  Yup.
I love skirts!

So here are all of my skirts together.  My favorite is the Gathered Jersey Skirt, next is the Linen Circle Skirt, and then it's a toss up.  Though the vote probably goes to the Circle skirt since I've actually worn it.  And the scraps made cute napkins!






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hee-hee.... yes,they are more exciting than egg substitute! :) You will be so fashionable with all your coordinated bracelets!