Friday, August 19, 2011

How I'm learning to sew

My pictures are still on the camera (and some aren't taken yet) so I thought I'd share a little big about how I started sewing. 

I learned to sew way back when I was a kid from my mom who made lots and lots of our clothes, and then I got another refresher in middle school home economics.  My crowning achievement was a locker keeper - woot.  And a pillow in the shape of a turtle.

But it was blogs that got me interested in sewing again.  I stumbled across MADE (dana-made-it.com) and saw all of these tutorials for projects that she promised were very simple to make, like a gorgeous ruffled summer scarf.  And I couldn't resist.

So for my birthday this year my parents bought me a sweet Kenmore brand sewing machine and my hubby helped me pick out fabric, thread, and other things I needed to get started as his birthday gift for me.  My in-laws also blessed me with sewing-related gift cards and magazines for my birthday so I was all set!

Picture taken from Amazon
The biggest help so far has been a book (another birthday gift from my hubby) called Stitch by Stitch : Learning to Sew One Project at a Time by Deborah Moebes.  It has a great section that teaches you all the basics you need to start sewing without overloading you with tons of extra information.  And by the time I had finished the first project I had already learned enough to make a skirt from MADE (picture to come).

I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants to learn to sew.  It's awesome.







1 comment:

Nienke said...

Finally someone that is learning how to sew as well! Just like you I love reading all the sewing blogs, but I was also looking for someone who just started sewing, just like me :) I started early August :). Happy sewing!