Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Recipe: Easy Chicken & Rice Soup

We've been feeling pretty under the weather lately and have turned to an old staple to battle our colds - chicken and rice soup.  Not feeling up to going to the store for lots of ingredients I decided to use what I had on hand and ended up with something pretty yummy.  I've been making a big batch each Sunday night and we reheat it for meals throughout the week.  My hubby usually hates soup, but he actually likes this one!

Easy Chicken & Rice Soup

Ingredients:
Cooked rice (I use a mixture of white rice and a brown rice/ whole grain mix from Trader Joe's)
Shredded chicken (I boil and shred this in bulk and keep it stocked in the freezer most of the time)
water
poultry seasoning
black pepper
dried bay leaves
onion powder or onion flakes
salt
optional:  sliced veggies such as carrots, celery, onion, etc.

Directions:
Fill a large pot 1/2 full with water
Add shredded chicken and rice
Add seasonings to taste - more poultry seasoning than anything else (I just eye-ball it and use caution.  I add salt to taste in individual servings.)
Bring to a boil, then remove lid and let simmer until soup reduces to desired thickness. 
Remove bay leaves.
Serve with Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top if desired.  Olive bread makes a great accompaniement!

This really is a no-fail recipe.  I never measure anything - I just sort of add it whatever amounts I have of the rice and chicken and the approximate ratios of seasonings that I prefer.  And since I like veggies in my soup but my hubby doesn't, I put in really big chunks of carrots that he can easily pick out.  That way everyone wins!

No comments: