Tuesday, October 18, 2011

$1 Bookcase Re-do

I found this bookcase on the side of the road last week!  I've been wanting one of these for a while now and then poof!  There it was!


I rescued it right before heavy rain started to fall.


It's made out of particle board but the back on three of the squares was really cheap cardboard.  So I ripped it off.
 
Which left this:


It might be less trendy than the original, but I don't really like trendy things because they go out of fashion too fast for me to keep up with.  This way it's more of a classic bookshelf that will always be in fashion.

To spruce it up I added many thin layers of $1 "oops" paint from Home Depot.  We bought it a while back for another project and had half a can left.  I really like the color and me and the hubby thought it'd look great in our bedroom. 

The first few layers were applied with a small roller brush.  Then I used a tiny craft brush to fill in along the edges.  I chose not to sand it at all before painting since it is particle board and I didn't want it to start disintegrating, but it did make it hard to get the paint to stick.  I ended up applying my final layers with a foam brush which gave me more even coverage.



And one more time without books...


Total cost?  Less than $1!

No comments: