Friday, September 30, 2011

Baby Ball Toy


I can't remember where I first saw the idea for making these toys - but it's pretty simple.  You take 8 surfboard shaped pieces of fabric (mine were approximately 6" long but they could be any length depending on the size of ball you want to end of with), sew them together along the edges, and then cover the ends with fabric circles.

The original tutorial I looked at suggested using wool, but I made mine out of some t-shirt scraps (pink and navy/plum) and linen scraps (navy/green) from my reversible tote.

I sewed the edges together by hand using a blanket stitch for the pink and navy/green balls, and with my sewing machine for the navy/plum ball.  It was much faster using the machine, but sewing by hand is fun sometimes too.  For all three I had to sew the circles on by hand at the end.

I also added some loops of ribbon that I had on hand to two of the balls for some tactile interest and maybe a way for a baby to pull on or pick up the ball. 

I used fiberfill to stuff all of them until they were firm but not hard. 


No comments: