Monday, November 7, 2011

Current Project - FINISHED!

Remember when I told you about my current project?  Well I finally made some progress!  I quickly realized that I needed a way to add material to the shirt to make it wider- but I wanted to retain as much of the original look as I could.  Here's what I started with:



Digging through my stash of thrift shirts, I found another one that is too tight and decided to use it for my additional fabric.
 First I seam ripped the neckline off of the front of the shirt all the way to the shoulder seams.  Then I cut the front of the shirt (not including neckline) down the middle.



Then I measured the length of the front panels of the shirt, top to bottom.


And I ironed a portion of the eggplant colored shirt (I had previously seam-ripped it apart) flat.  I don't have an ironing board so I just fold a towel up and put it on our table that has ceramic tiles.  As long as the iron doesn't pass over the wood edges everything is fine!


Next I used some simple geometry to mark out the triangular shaped piece of eggplant fabric that I would place in my newly opened section of the shirt.


And cut it out.


And pinned it into the shirt!



Then I sewed it in using a straight stitch and added a piece of the purple fabric to the collar.




Then I finished by sewing the collar back onto the shirt.
So... it did add some width to the shirt and gave me more breathing room.  However, I'm afraid it looks like a black shirt with a purple tie.  I don't think it looks too bad when it's on, but it's definitely not an amazing refashion. 

1 comment:

willywagtail said...

It's always worth a try. I've just enlarged a tee by two sizes by adding strips in the side seams. Cherrie